Getting Free Legal Advice

Any information that you provide will be kept in accordance with our privacy policy. You should discuss what costs you might have to pay with your lawyer before they start work on your case. Solicitors work pro bono to help make sure everyone has access to justice when they need it. There may be anombudsmanwith a remit that covers your legal problem. It is often worth exploring this option before considering taking legal action. For an initial consultation with a solicitor please click here to find your local clinic.

Advocate only helps people who cannot afford to pay and cannot get legal aid. If you need professional legal advice, your local advice centre is a good place to start. Do you have legal expenses insurance that you’ve forgetten about? Some people get legal expenses insurance as part of their car or home insurance policy. If you’re not sure, read your policy documents or speak to your insurer to find out. If you have a problem and need legal advice to resolve it, you may be able to get help from a legal adviser or an organisation which specialises in your problem.

Our telephone advice lines provide vital free and confidential legal advice to women. It’s important to remember that you might have to pay if you get independent or legal advice. Your local Citizens Advice can provide advice on a wide range of issues.

You should make a note beforehand of what you need to say and find out. You could speak to an adviser at your nearest Citizens Advice to help you decide what questions to ask the solicitor. If you can’t get legal aid, there’s a small chance you might get help through ‘exceptional case funding’. If your case is going to court or a tribunal, you might get a volunteer barrister to represent you for free through Advocate. To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.

A trade union may be able to help you with free legal advice if the injury happened at work. If you need help with a benefits problem or working out what you’re entitled to, there are local organisations who can give you advice and support. PCS members can access legal advice on non work-related issues. Different solicitors specialise in different areas of law, such as criminal, divorce or employment law. If you do not qualify for legal aid, a solicitor may be able to take on your case as part of their pro bono work. Your case must be referred to the Advoate by a solicitor or advice agency such as a Citizens Advice, law centre or MP.

Our Centre is student-led, under the supervision of qualified legal professionals. Fife Law Centre is a team of solicitors who provide free and representation for people in Fife. Thorntons and Rollos are two firms of solicitors with offices in St Andrews who have collaborated with the University to provide a dedicated legal advice line for all students. Although NAPAC itself cannot provide legal advice, we are familiar with specialist law firms who work in the area of non-recent childhood abuse and can signpost to you to these below. NAPAC’s telephone support lines provides a listening service to our callers.