Legal Advice Clinic

A solicitor can help you prepare your case for criminal injuries compensation. If you cannot afford your legal costs, you might be able to apply for advice and assistance from the Scottish Legal Aid Board. A solicitor can also help you prepare for a social security tribunal. Law centres offer free legal advice in their centres across the country. They cover topics such as benefits, employment, housing, immigration and asylum, discrimination and debt. If you need legal assistance but cannot afford to pay for a lawyer, Legal Aid helps meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal.

Our students, supervised by University staff and volunteer lawyers, offer advice to the general public. ELAN invites members and external organisations to share expertise and solutions to assist with employment advice provision. Wherever you are in your career as a musician, you can access music career advice and events designed to assist you in developing your career. The Scottish Women’s Rights Centre offers free legal help for women affected by violence, such as domestic abuse, rape, stalking, forced marriage and human trafficking.

© 2022 The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013532. Good Work Plan consultation Read the submission to the government’s Good Work Plan consultation from 2019 which ELAN members provided input into. This could be through the provision of advice and/or campaigning for change. The primary focus is on low-paid workers and those in precarious work. We are grateful to our Patron, David Head, Duncan Lewis Solicitors, who provides his time and assistance to us.

There are other ways to recover money you’re owed that could be quicker, cheaper and less stressful than going to court. If you need to go to a Children’s Hearing then, most of the time, you’ll be able to speak to a social worker both before and during the hearing. Although asking a court to help with your problem is sometimes needed, it can be expensive and take a long time.

Citizens Advice can provide support you if you are facing a crisis, or just considering your options. The clinics are for people who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay for a lawyer. Some solicitors offer ‘no win, no fee’ as a way of paying for civil cases, such as personal injury. A no win, no fee agreement is sometimes known as a ‘conditional fee agreement’ . Some offer a fixed fee – that way you’ll know in advance what the advice will cost.

If you’re going to a tribunal or court without a lawyer, find out where to get help to represent yourself and what a McKenzie Friend, the Personal Support Unit or an interpreter can do. If you’ve joined a motoring organisation for breakdown cover, you might find they offer cheap or free help, particularly with car or accident legal problems. Check your membership agreement or call them to find out if they can help. Speak to your shop steward or workplace representative or contact your union’s head office to see if they can give you free legal help. Call the solicitor’s office to find out if they want you to bring any particular documents, such as a passport.

Check how to prepare if a court or tribunal offers you a remote hearing. If you win the case, the solicitor’s fees and expenses you agreed to will be taken from your compensation. You’ll usually be able to recover some costs from your opponent. You might be able to get a short appointment with a solicitor for free or a set cost. Other solicitors might work for you on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. There are 2 types of legal aid, for criminal and civil cases.

If you’re then charged, you can get help with legal costs if you’re on certain benefits or you can’t afford to pay for advice yourself. If you cannot afford your legal costs, you might be able to get help from legal aid. If you need to go to a mental health tribunal, legal aid is available for free to cover the cost of representation by a solicitor. At some sheriff courts there are free advice services on civil law issues such as rent arrears, repossession and debt. This could help you resolve your case before any court action begins.