Legal Advice For Individuals

Visit the Keeping your Home website for guidance on what to do if your home is at risk of being repossessed. If your employer has done something wrong and you cannot sort it out directly with them, the next step will be an employment tribunal. If you’re a member of a trade union, you should contact it to ask if it can help with your problem at work. If you or your children are in immediate danger and need help, call 999. The Parenting Plan is a tool to help parents agree on what’s best for their children when their relationship comes to an end. Find your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice if you have not been treated fairly.

The law can sometimes be complicated and so we have compiled this information in a way that is accessible to all. Our legal information sheets are written by our team of experienced student volunteers under the supervision of a qualified legal and academic team. Our Street Law Clinic has various out-reach projects to provide community groups with free legal workshops. Please note that immediate advice is not provided at this initial interview.

If you’re going to a tribunal or court without a lawyer, find out where to get help to represent yourself and what a McKenzie Friend, the Personal Support Unit or an interpreter can do. If you’ve joined a motoring organisation for breakdown cover, you might find they offer cheap or free help, particularly with car or accident legal problems. Check your membership agreement or call them to find out if they can help. Speak to your shop steward or workplace representative or contact your union’s head office to see if they can give you free legal help. Call the solicitor’s office to find out if they want you to bring any particular documents, such as a passport.

Our students, supervised by University staff and volunteer lawyers, offer advice to the general public. ELAN invites members and external organisations to share expertise and solutions to assist with employment advice provision. Wherever you are in your career as a musician, you can access music career advice and events designed to assist you in developing your career. The Scottish Women’s Rights Centre offers free legal help for women affected by violence, such as domestic abuse, rape, stalking, forced marriage and human trafficking.

You should make a note beforehand of what you need to say and find out. You could speak to an adviser at your nearest Citizens Advice to help you decide what questions to ask the solicitor. If you can’t get legal aid, there’s a small chance you might get help through ‘exceptional case funding’. If your case is going to court or a tribunal, you might get a volunteer barrister to represent you for free through Advocate. To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.