Legal Aid Scotland Act 1986

If you have experienced domestic abuse from your ex you may be able to get legal aid to pay for advice about your separation or your children, as long as you are on a low income. It is an essential means by which access to justice is secured in the UK. A defendant’s solicitor may also be able to apply, on their behalf, for legal aid, advice and assistance, under the “Green Form” scheme, for initial consultations. The solicitor will assess a person’s income and decide their financial eligibility under the “Green Form” scheme. A person being interviewed by the police about criminal charges is entitled to free legal aid for police station advice.

You can find out more details about these from the Scottish Legal Aid Board and whether you would be likely to pay a contribution. You might need to pay something for the legal services you get. The pilot provides for certain housing, debt, and welfare benefits issues to be in scope for legal aid. Clients can receive up to three hours of advice and assistance, but not representation. The solicitor can apply for legal representation if their client needs to bring or defend court proceedings, and the case needs more work than they can provide under Legal Help and Help at Court.

When you create an nidirect account, you’ll get an authentication code by email. You must bring this code and three forms of identification to a verification centre in Northern Ireland. You need to create an nidirect account and have your identity verified within five calendar days. When your identity is verified, log in and create your digital account on LAMS.

TheLAA guidance Work out who qualifies for civil contains more information about assessing the merits of a case. The maximum amount of a client’s gross income is £2,657 per month. For clients with more than 4 children, the maximum amount is increased by £222 for the 5th and subsequent children. If the client’s gross income exceeds that amount, they do not qualify for legal aid. Cases involving domestic abuse are normally referred to a family solicitor. This could include getting an injunction to remove the perpetrator from the home.

The solicitor must apply to the Agency for a certificate of funding. Civil legal aid pays for legal advice for people who cannot afford to pay for a solicitor to represent them. If an application for legal aid is successful, it can pay for some or all of their legal costs. There are strict limits on the amount of income or savings you can have if you want to apply for legal aid. A solicitor can explain these and work out if you can get legal aid. When you have worked this out with the solicitor, you then need to provide all your evidence for your application.